Sunday, October 12, 2014

Mt. Pico De Loro adventure hike

Finally, we have made it to come to the famous mountain of Cavite! Well, this was actually the second time that they plan to climb this mountain. The first time was unfortunately something that I've missed. Anyway, did you know that Mt. Pico De Loro has the highest elevation in terms of topography at 664 meters above sea level? From the top of the summit, is the amazing view of the province of Cavite. You can also view from there the various mountains such as Palay palay mountain, Mt.Mataas na Gulod, Mt. Marami, Mt. Batulao and Mt. Talamitam.

We actually arrived at the site of DENR at 1pm where we park the car and where we eat lunch as well. The parking fee is Php 50, by the way. Not bad since we've stayed at the mountain for 1 night. At exactly 2pm, we have started to take our journey. It was a cloudy day and I'm actually a bit nervous that we might get wet if the rain pour during our climb. I'll be also afraid since the trail has many assault and it'll be very dangerous since the soil is wet. Fortunately, the weather had been good to us and haven't shown any raindrops. Thank God! By the way, you have to note that there is an entrance fee amounting to Php 25 at the first campsite where you need to register your name.
Jump Off from the DENR site
I actually find the first two hours of walking on the trail as quite easy. But while we are getting near to that so called "Assault", I am quite getting close to quitting the journey, with all the baggage that I carry; the tent, foods, along with my backpack, you'll really experience the pain brought by these baggage.(I remember the words of encouragement that I once heard during our take off from the summit and I quote the man saying "Kayanin mo, kasi pag hindi, hindi ka makakauwi" He's right, right?! :)) Giving up shouldn't really be an option to this journey in the first place, since I've joined and should anticipate this pain and exhaustion already.

After four hours of walking, we finally made it to the campsite. We arrived at exactly 6:15pm. We haven't had the chance to see the sunset because the sun is hiding in the east from where we are located. So, we started to build our tents and eat our dinner so we could rest and wait for the sun to rise. The experience is like having my first camping all over again. Well, this was actually my first time to do the overnight in a mountain, my very first camping was during my elementary days (Missin' my Girlscout days).
This was taken at the other side of the mountain
The next day started as early as 5:45 in the morning. We have started our journey to the monolith at around 7:00am. The weather is cold and the sunshine is hidden within the cloudy sky. During the climb at the first peak, I've experienced the fog. I felt like I'm above the clouds which is well almost like it. It was like Mt. Pulag with that kind of view. It takes us not more than 30 minutes in the first peak, by the way.
The foggy scene at the first peak of Mt. Pico De Loro
Amazing view after the fog
Trying hard to do some camera tricks! Ha!
Scene going down the first peak of Mt. Pico de Loro
It's now time for the most awaited monolith! The view below was taken from the first peak of the mountain which is from the above photo. The trail going to the monolith was a bit steep especially when you are on your way to the top where you will have to use a rope to climb the breathtaking cliff of the mountain. It was just actually a 2-3 minutes climb if you've a really brave and steady knees. :)

We're at the top of the Parrots Peak | Mt. Pico De Loro | Credits to my friend who took this shot

Parrots Peak | Mt. Pico De Loro | Credits to my friend who took this shot

Parrots Peak | Mt. Pico De Loro | Credits to my friend who took this shot
Of course, I wouldn't let this experience pass by without having and taking my weirdo tumbling shot! Ha! I should practice more for a perfect shot and without having to lean on the rocks though!
My tumbling shot at the monolith
And of course, the exciting jump shot shouldn't be forgotten here!
Jump shot at the monolith
It's now time to go home for us! Bye, bye Pico! Will definitely see you next time!
Pababa na kami ng monolith :(
The last four hours of walking from the camp site going to the DENR was memorable. This is because after leaving the first camp, heavy rain pours down. Good thing that some of us brought rain coat to protect our gadgets and also some of our baggage. Because of this, the trail becomes slippery and more dangerous to take. We haven't had the chance to see the falls though. After almost another 4 hours of walking, we finally reach our final destination which is the bathroom of the DENR where we already take a bath and clean our selves from all the sticky feeling that we had from climbing to going down the mountain. It was really an exciting and amazing feeling and I'll surely climb it again if I'll have another chance! By the way, I'm a novice in mountaineering and actually see some kids climbing the mountain. So. there's no excuses for you to not climb it!
After the adventure, it's time to go home!
Just want to end this with an inspiring quote from Barry Finlay saying, Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.  SOAR HIGH! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment